As someone who shops almost exclusively at thrift stores, justifying a $100 skin care cream is not something I’m easily convinced of.
Yet somehow, I find myself fiending for the Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Cream. It has a 5-star expert rating on BeautyPedia and incredible reviews from customers. Longing for a better moisturizer, something with a real “wow” factor, I was convinced it was worth a gamble.
Now, whether this cream is worth the $100 price tag is yet to be determined. Keep reading and decide for yourself.
HOW THE PRODUCT WORKS
The company claims that the product helps to improve the skin’s tone, texture, and firmness.The Protini™ formula achieves this throughingredients like supportive amino acids, signal peptides, skin-identical ingredients, and growth factors.
Independent studies have demonstrated self-reported improvement in skin’s look and feel afterProtini™ application, and the reviews are giant echoes of this high satisfaction from users.
The peptides in the cream are short chains of amino acids that easily penetrate the skin and participate in collagen synthesis and repair. The amino acids complement the peptides by adding hydration to keep your skin looking soft and supple. Protini™ also contains antioxidants and nutrients that soothe, protect and nourish the skin.
WHAT I DON'T LIKE
In this case, I want to lead off with what I don’t like because the list is rather short.
Obviously, the price tag is my main complaint. I can appreciate that a lot of preparation and quality ingredients go into a product like this to make it worth the price tag to begin with. However, I also realize that this means it isn’t accessible to those who simply can’t afford it.
However, the list of things I dislike about this product ends there.
WHAT I LIKE
Despite the hefty price tag this skin care cream carries, I was happy with the amount of product for the price. Even though the up-front cost is high, the jar could easily last several months.
I tried the cream first on the back of my hand, and my first impression was a smooth, light, and creamy formula.Because of this, a little goes a long way and you won’t need to layer this moisturizer to get the hydrating benefits.
I also like that the product isn’t heavy, so I felt comfortable using it on my acne-prone skin.I was happy to see that it absorbs quickly without leaving a residue.
WHAT I LOVE
1. I love the packaging. The moisturizer contains a pump that only releases a small, easily-controlled amount of cream when you push down. I love this for many reasons:
- It’s hygienic: you’re not dipping your fingers into a tub repeatedly contaminating it.
- It seals air-tight: this prevents the product from oxidizing and the quality deteriorating.
- You can easily get the exact amount you need: the high-quality pump means no wasting precious product.
You can tell that a lot of care and consideration went into the packaging, which you often find with high-end skin care products like this.
2. I also love the immediate results. My skin felt plump and hydrated immediately after applying, and it only got better as the days went on. This on top of retinol has really plumped up the fine lines and fought the sullen dullness of my skin. Nothing has been able to moisturize my skin as effectively as this.
3. With my sensitive skin, fragrance-free options have become more important, and it’s a struggle to find a good face cream that’s vegan, quality, and suitable for sensitive skin types. This skin care cream meets all my skin’s gentle needs and then some.
4. With a pH level of 4, this cream is perfect for supporting your skin’s acidic and protective moisture barrier. This means fewer acne breakouts, less moisture loss, and less skin damage overall.
5. The light-weight, non-greasy, pH-balanced formula helps keep my oily skin under control, while effectively hydrating my dehydrated areas.
6. It really peps up my skin’s vibrancy.My skin is always very dull, and being so fair-skinned doesn’t help, either.Since using this, my skin’s overall tone and appearance have changed immensely for the better.
So, to answer the question, is a $100 skin care cream really worth it?In the case of the Drunk Elephant Protini™ Polypeptide Cream, I would say yes.If you can afford it, then this formula is well worth the investment.
Protini™is the perfect moisturizer to combat the damaging effects of acne products, aging, sun damage, and more. It’s honestly the best way to really capitalize on an already-great routine.
Despite the objections of my bank account, I will definitely be repurchasing this to replace my regular moisturizer.
Banish Starter Kit