Foundation is a great addition to every girls’s drawer, but it can also be damaging to the skin especially since it is left on the skin for a long period of time. The hardest thing to deal with foundation is avoiding acne cosmetics or cosmetic induced acne. Qualities to look for in foundation for acne-prone skin would be a light to medium coverage, fragrance free formula, and a matte finish.
Other thing you need to consider is that non-comedogenic is not always the way out. Since there are little regulations as to what a company can claim, even the greasiest foundation or BB cream can claim it won’t clog pores. You can easily check the labels to avoid ingredients like isopropyl myristate, isopropyl isostearate, lanolin, coconut butter, cetearyl alcohol, and fragrance. Maybe you can even stop breakouts by changing your makeup! Finding what works for you is unfortunately trial and error, but these are from experience what worked and didn’t work for me.
Finding what works for you is, unfortunately, trial and error, but these are from experience what worked and didn’t work for me.
What did not work for me:
- Revlon Colorstay foundation for oily/combo- Although this formula doesn’t have a lot of skin offending ingredients it didn’t control oil and it became very patchy throughout the day. In addition, because of its long wear it really caused me to break out quite a bit.
- Almay smart shade CC cream- I really like this BB cream for when I was dealing with really dry patches, and the skin benefiting and fragrance free formula was a huge plus too. However, in the end, the formula was too dewy for my oily skin and shine was visible after only an hour.
- It Cosmetics Your skin but better CC cream- There are some beneficial ingredients like snail cream which is really moisturizing but unfortunately the amount of fragrance is very irritating to the skin and I personally experienced a lot of breakouts and rashes. It’s a shame that the formulation decided to include the essential oils (natural but still a fragrance), because it blends well into the skin with good coverage.
What worked for me:
- Laura Mercier silk creme oil free foundation- This is a fragrance-free formula that blends well with the skin while providing sufficient coverage and dries down matte. This makes it a great option for those with oily and acne-prone skin.
- Make Up Forever ultra HD foundation- A great foundation with a minimal fragrance that is a light-weight formula with great coverage. And it really does look “invisible” on the skin, as invisible as a foundation can get.
Banish Starter Kit