Essential oils are wonderful. They have so many benefits like helping you de-stress, relieve a headache, or help joint pain. However, what some people don’t know is that they can also be used topically for skin care. Essential oils are the way to go if you want to get gorgeous looking skin the natural way. Plus essential oils are cheaper than your average serum or beauty oil!
Here are some of my favorite essential oils that I use in my skincare routine.
• Lavender Lavender oil is a smoother when it comes to aromatherapy, but it also has calming properties that can reduce redness when applied topically to a blemish or rash. It can also take the redness away from a blemish!
• Frankincense Frankincense is a blessing for those pesky red acne scars. The oil helps with the pigmentation as well as toning and tightening up your pores.
• Ylang Ylang Ylang Ylang really helps the skin glow. It stimulates cell growth and can be used on oily skin to minimize pores and oil production, which reduces acne. Score!
• Peppermint Just like the flavor, peppermint oil is cooling. I like to apply it when my skin gets hot from being out in the sun.
• Orange Blossom This is my personal favorite oil. Not only does it smell like a tropical island, but it also brightens up your face when you’re feeling dull or sallow.
• Chamomile Chamomile has healing properties not only in its tea form but also topically too. It can be applied to skin conditions like eczema and rosacea, and it doesn’t irritate sensitive skin!
• Tea Tree Tea tree oil is an acne-fighter! Known for it’s antifungal and antibacterial properties, it can treat even the worst of breakouts. It can also be used to clean out cuts and scrapes.
• Clary Sage I like to apply clary sage under my eyes because it is an anti-inflammatory and can reduce puffiness. Plus clary sage fights the signs of aging!
Please note that it is advised to not use essential oils directly on the skin as they are. I usually mix them equally with water and put into a spray bottle. Also, make sure to test out any oil before using it on your face by putting it on your hand first. This makes sure that your skin doesn’t react badly to it.
There are so many other essential oils with amazing properties, but these were just a list of some of my favorites. So light a candle, relax and put those oils to use!