Just as with skincare, you need to find make-up that is tailored to your skin type. If you have dry skin and apply foundation more suited for oilier skin, your skin may end up looking blotchy and flaky, on the other hand, if your oily skin and use a foundation for drier skin, chances are you're going to end up looking like a grease-ball after a couple of hours! Here are my top 3 foundation recommendations for each of the two skin types.
- Maybelline Superstay 24 Hour Foundation – This foundation is full coverage so it covers all my acne scars and discolouration. It has a semi-matte finish which is perfect for oily skin as it controls the greasy look without looking too cakey. I've worn this for a full day and it did not budge, however, I can't vouch for the '24 hours' claim as that would mean wearing it in my sleep! I find it best to apply full coverage foundations with a make-up sponge as it gives a more natural look and feels lighter on the skin.
- L'Oreal Paris Infallible Matte Foundation – This has a medium but buildable coverage. It applies smoothly onto the skin and gives a silky matte finish which lasts for the whole day. Although it has a varied shade range, there have been requests for darker skin tones.
- Cover Girl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 Foundation – Out of the three, this has the most matte finish, to prevent it from looking too powdery, I use a wet beauty blender which diffuses the foundation. It has a medium-full coverage, and although it states that a primer is not needed, I always wear one with any foundation. The lasting power is just as high as the others and they also have a wide range of shades.
- Fit Me! Dewy + Smooth Foundation – A light-medium coverage foundation that applies smoothly onto the skin, giving a perfect dewy finish. It does not cling to any dry patches at all and lasts for 6-8 hours.
- Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation – Packed with beneficial ingredients such as melon for hydration and apricot for radiance, this foundation is perfect for hydrating dry skin. It's a medium-buildable foundation and gives a natural glow as well as concealing any flaky skin. It has a medium staying power, so you may need to touch up after 4/5 hours.
- L'Oreal Lumi Magique Foundation – Just by looking at the name you can tell it's made for dry skin. This foundation is the dewiest of them all – it gives a radiant, healthy glow, without looking greasy. It has medium-full coverage and lasts up to 5/6 hours. I find it is best applied with a makeup sponge to give an even finish.
Banish Starter Kit