October 11, 2021
By Elizabeth Nguyen
Traveling can be fun especially when we want to explore other places or countries but it can be also stressful when you suddenly get acne pimples the day before your flight. But the question is why do people often experience acne breakouts while traveling? What causes them? And how do we prevent acne while traveling?
We all love traveling especially during holiday seasons but we also dread the possibility of developing travel acne.
It’s simple. We all love traveling at one point, but at the same time we also hate it… perhaps you’re wondering what’s the reason behind it. Consider the weather, the stress you get about packing up pieces of clothes when you travel, the food you order or eat upon boarding the plane and a lot of factors that cause acne when you travel – locally or internationally. Let me point this out one by one:
1) Skin Dehydration - When traveling, our body requires adjustment to the environment and the climate of the place we are heading to, most especially when it is a foreign country. Hence once of the reasons why we get travel acne is our skin gets dehydrated as the humidity in the air is lower than if we’re traveling by land (bus, van or other public vehicles).
2) Unhealthy Food Choices - Another cause of travel acne is the food we eat – the unhealthy choice of foods we usually buy while we’re on board the plane as it can possibly cause digestive problems leading to acne breakouts. Fat, sugar and salt rich are foods are very dehydrating to your body and they can increase any inflammation.
3) Poor Quality Sleep - Failing to bring your neck pillow along with you as you travel can cause you poor quality sleep due to neck, back and stress problems. This is another possible cause of travel acne breakouts. This poor sleep quality is known as jet lag as your sleeping habits or patterns get interrupted not only because of time change but also due to stress in traveling.
4) Wearing Heavy Makeup – While we love to make ourselves pretty or good looking as we travel and explore a different place, wearing heavy or cakey makeup can be another possible cause of travel acne as it does not allow our skin to breathe well. Hence, wearing heavy makeup is a big NO when we want to take good care of our skin and prevent travel acne.
5) Not Packing Or Preparing Right Before The Trip – What happens when we fail to pack or prepare the night before the trip would be that we stress out or cram in packing the clothes and stuff we need or we end up leaving some of the things we needed behind, which would only add stress and cause travel acne breakouts.
6) Not Applying Sunscreen – Another possible cause of travel acne is failing to moisturize your skin with an SPF sunscreen.
7) Touching Your Face Habitually – This would already be common sense; habitually touching your face when your hands are dirty is enough to cause you travel acne breakouts.
These are just some of the tips that can be enumerated at the moment. There are still a lot of things that we can do to prevent breakouts from occurring while traveling but for now, I’ll end with these in mind first. Which of these tips will you be trying out first to get rid of travel acne?
Comments will be approved before showing up.