By Elizabeth Nguyen
Why do people often experience acne breakouts while traveling? What causes them?
It’s simple. We all love traveling at one point, but at the same time we also hate it… perhaps you’re wondering what’s the reason behind it. Consider the weather, the stress you get about packing up pieces of clothes when you travel, the food you order or eat upon boarding the plane and a lot of factors that cause acne when you travel –locally or internationally.
When traveling, our body requires adjustment to the environment and the climate of the place we are heading to, most especially when it is a foreign country.
1. Getting hydrated is one of the most important steps or tips on how you can prevent flare ups while you travel.
Hydrating fruits or drinks such as watermelon, cucumber or just plain mineral water (be sure to bring a liter bottle of it or drink at least 8 glasses of water) is just one example of keeping yourself hydrated during travel. Bringing sheet masks or spritz to spray on your face may be another good way to keep yourself hydrated as well as such products is beneficial. One of the recommended brands of hydrating masks is the Etude House from Korea as their sheet masks help keep your skin hydrated on a warm weather.
2. Getting enough sleep is another important milestone or step on how to prevent breakouts while you’re on board the plane. But how can you get good quality sleep when you’re experiencing back problems, neck problems and stress problems as a result of not bringing any neck pillow with you?
3. Everyone surely goes through this phase when traveling – ordering unhealthy foods while on the flight. Eating junk foods are sure to get you in trouble by giving you digestive problems and to get rid of this, pick or prepare healthy snacks instead of the usual junk foods you usually buy at the convenience store. This helps save you from having digestive problems and acne breakouts.
4. Another helpful tip to help you get rid of acne breakouts while traveling is to wear light makeup as this allows your skin to breathe while traveling. There is no need to apply cakey makeup when you’re just traveling. Few recommendations of light mineral makeup brands are Tarte Cosmetics, Amazonian Clay Airbrush Foundation, Jane Iredale Loose Powder, NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation, Armani Maestro Foundation, Bare Minerals Matte Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15, Garnier Skin Renew, Miracle Skin Perfector B.B. Cream, Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer and so much more.
5. Don’t you know that moisturizing your face is one helpful step to getting your skin free of acne breakouts? When you moisturize your face, it keeps your skin hydrated…. Drinking plenty of water instead of soda drinks helps!
6. Keep your facial scrub or Charcoal Mask with you on every trip you take. Why? Because one of the benefits of bringing these is that they help clean the face, which is another helpful tip on preventing acne breakouts. Be careful though not to overdo it as over scrubbing may damage your skin cells rather than helping.
7) Skip the coffee…. and drink two cups of spearmint tea a day instead. As Dr. Carl Thornfeldt explains it, drinking at least two cups of spearmint tea a day helps keep your acne away and saves you from having a stomach upset.
8) We know you’re wondering how eating two ounces of ice cream or cherries is beneficial to the skin and how it keeps a person from experiencing acne breakouts while traveling. Two ounces of ice cream or cherries help reduce the blood flow to the face and fixes both acne and eye puffiness by reducing inflammation (that causes rapid vasoconstriction). Just not the chocolate flavor.
9) Have a bit of turmeric to keep your acne breakout at bay. This is considered as one of the best spices especially for glowing skin. It is also packed with anti-inflammatory properties such as curcumin.
10) Having the habit of touching your face is already enough to cause your acne to breakout. So it would really help to avoid or quit this habit once and for all.
11) Zinc is one important element in taking care of your skin, especially during traveling. It helps you fight off colds and acne. Francesca Fusco, a board-certified dermatologist from Wexler Dermatology would often advise her patients to take zinc supplements while on a plane trip. Nicomide is one of the recommended zinc supplement since it helps keep the skin clean. But be sure to consult your skin specialist first before starting a new oral regimen.
12) Lastly, it is important to prepare your skin before you go on a journey. Remember to bring cleansing and extracting chemical peel containing salicylic acid before boarding the plane as they clear up the residual debris left in your face. Banish All Mint Cleanser is also one of the recommended skin care product as cleansing your face or skin completely beforehand makes you free from having breakouts or even developing inflammation all throughout the trip.
These are just some of the tips that can be enumerated at the moment. There are still a lot of things that we can do to prevent breakouts from occurring while traveling but for now, I’ll end with these in mind first.
So those are some of the tips that you can follow, but there are a few more. Which of these tips will you be trying out first? Will you cut off on junk foods? Bring hydrating fruits? Skip the coffee? or perhaps bringing a neck pillow with you?
*Credits to the owner of the photos*