What are the signs of sensitive skin?
Do you have skin that suffers from redness, tingling sensations, and itching? Does your skin strongly react to changes in temperature, cold and wind and even to stress, emotions or hormonal upheavals? Do you easily burn in the sun? ... If your answer to most of these questions is "yes", then you may be suffering from skin sensitivity.
When you have sensitive skin, the struggle is real – your skin throws temper tantrums over just about anything. It’s frustrating trying to cope with skin that behaves like a toddler and confusing as to why your skin was triggered in the first place.
A sensitive skin type reacts excessively to external triggers and cosmetics as well a stronger than normal response to internal issues like stress and emotions, hormonal changes.
Dealing with both acne and sensitive skin can be difficult. It is often challenging to find products that provide enough hydration to the skin without irritating it.
You would have probably heard of the saying “less is more..” and it especially applies when you’re the type of person who has sensitive acne prone skin.
Below are some of the organic acne skincare ingredients to look out for when treating acne on sensitive skin:
- Aloe Vera
- Gotu Kola aka Centella Asiatica
- Jojoba Oil
- Calendula Extract
- Chamomile extract
- Rose water
- Vegetable oil
- Sunflower oil
- Sweet almond oil
- Shea butter
- Borage oil
1) Aloe Vera – Aloe vera is not just there in your household to serve as a staple in your mother’s medicine cabinet. This succulent has a lot of benefits most especially for skin care and also has been used by different civilizations for centuries for a range of skin care, health and even medicinal purposes. The benefits of aloe vera include: soothing sunburns, fading dark spots, moisturizing the skin, providing healthy anti-aging benefits for the skin, helping clear up acne, soothing psoriasis and eczema, treating and preventing dandruff…and last but definitely not the least, fading stretch marks.
For those with increased sensitivity in skin, aloe is a humectant superstar with a natural balance of minerals, antioxidants, enzymes, and vitamins. Aloe can calm itchy or inflamed skin thanks to its natural hormones that contain anti-inflammatory properties.
Recommended products that contain aloe vera would be the Banish Fighter Gel. This is a skin-soothing water based gel which helps relieve inflammation as well as reduce aches, relieves skin irritation and provides instant and long lasting relief on dry hands.
2) Gotu Kola - Also known as Centella Asiatica extract which is found in temperate and tropical swampy regions across the world.
Gotu Kola is beneficial in the control of eczema, psoriasis, and breakouts. For acne sufferers, it speeds healing, helping to prevent scarring and prevent blemishes.
The Banish Fighter Gel contains organic gotu kola as well.
3) Jojoba Oil - Jojoba oil has been dubbed as the “sensitive skin superstar” for its impressive moisturizing benefits. This skin care ingredient absorbs easily as it is compatible with the skin since it closely resembles the sebum skin produces and can deeply penetrate the top layer of your skin for nourishment.
4) Calendula Extract – The calendula extract is known as a skin-soothing boost for both babies and adults alike as it offers a unique blend of antioxidants ideal for protecting and calming an irritated or inflamed skin. However, the calendula extract is often commonly mistaken for a noxious weed and considered to be an undercover skin healer. But did you know that this flowering beauty carries nutritional and medicinal benefits?
5) Chamomile Extract – Chamomile is not just there for tea drinking but also for skin care. Chamomile extract is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and comforting scent and proved to be a wonder in skincare for sensitive skins. Chamomile extract offers much more for your sensitive skin in a sense that it detoxifies your skin, fights environmental pollutants which frequently exasperates sensitivity. A recommended cleanser that contains chamomile extract is the all clear mint cleanser.
6) Rose Water - As a truly multitasking ingredient, rose water’s antioxidant-rich content is gentle enough for sensitive skin while still boasting powerful soothing and revitalizing benefits. Rose water has moisture-retaining and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to ease dry, irritated or reddened skin. The rose water is a by-product of steam distillation during the essential oil process where the condensation is also collected while essential oils are being extracted from rose petals.
Rose Water works to balance and maintain those acidic levels. It can also help remove left over dirt and oils that your cleanser may have missed. As it settles into pores, its moisturizing properties work to improve tone and texture. Toning with Rose Water preps the skin for serums and moisturizers, that way your skin can receive the optimal amounts of hydration from the rest of your routine.
Best/recommended product for this skin care ingredient would be the Banish Oil. The benefits of the Banish Oil include evening out the skin tone and reducing the look of hyperpigmentation and dark spots.
7) Oatmeal – Known as one of the most famous ingredients for sensitive skin, oatmeal (preferably the colloidal oatmeal) possesses skin soothing benefits and is rich in proteins and lipids. Oatmeal also has potent emollient properties which make the skin care ingredient a great moisturizer. Oatmeal is good for treating itchy and sensitive skin with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
8) Vegetable Oil - Clinical studies have demonstrated the wide benefits when appropriate oils have been massaged into the skin. A combination of specific vegetable oils have proven to show significant improvements in skin. However if your skin is oily, acne prone, and sensitive - you may want to avoid trying too many oils in general.
9) Honey – Honey is one of the natural ingredients which is easy or convenient to get. It is produced by enzyme activity, plant matter and live bacteria coming together to create this powerful ingredient with hundreds of practical uses. Honey is not just your ordinary sweetener but it’s also one of nature’s MVP, having possessed all kinds of facial cleansing powers. You need to get the best quality of honey for your skin care such as Manuka honey (it’s downright medicinal)
10) Sunflower Oil - Sunflower oil is filled with Vitamin E and Vitamin A which help advancing skin health. They act as antioxidants. This oil is light and not greasy and it is easily absorbed by the skin without blocking the pores. It serves as a natural moisturizer for sensitive skin.
It is best to go for the organic, cold-pressed variety of sunflower oil. Other extraction methods may include additives to the resulting oil to change or decrease its benefits.
11) Sweet Almond Oil - It is light and has a fast-absorbing texture. Sweet almond oil is a hypoallergenic oil that is fitting to use for sensitive skin. Some properties in almond oil deeply clean the pores without clogging them.
It includes vitamin E, vitamin A, essential fatty acids, proteins, potassium, and zinc. It is packed with vitamins and nutrients that make it perfect to include for daily skin regimen.
12) Shea Butter - If you have sensitive skin, better discard the fancy scented lotions and creams which can make the skin even more irritated. Go for shea butter instead! It has a soothing effect and eases inflammation.
Shea butter penetrates the skin quickly, you’ll feel relief sooner rather than later.
Shea butter doesn’t contain chemical irritants known to dry out skin, and it doesn’t clog pores. It’s fitting for any skin type but most for sensitive skin. Redness, swelling and inflammation on the face may be calmed by applying shea butter products.
13) Beeswax - It has antibacterial agents. Beeswax has vitamin A, which increases hydration and the removal of dead skin. It also has an all-natural, and light honey scent.
This is a great ingredient for sensitive or dry skin as it is anti-allergenic and easily consumed.
14) Borage Oil - Borage Oil has a lot of skincare benefits. It is good for healing inflammation from acne, eczema, and rosacea. Borage Oil is considered a skin protector that shields the skin from damage, irritation, and flare-ups It helps to keep your skin soothed and calm.
Whether you take Borage Oil orally or apply it to your skin it appears to positively affect the texture, and moisture content of the skin.
Finding a suitable skin care routine for acne when skin is sensitive can be difficult, but doable. It can take some time, effort, and money. But once we find our fit, taking care of our sensitive skin will be easy.
Basic Tips To Keep In Mind When Caring For Acne and Sensitive Skin:
- The triggers differ. Be mindful of what causes the reaction on your skin.
- Keep your skincare regimen simple.
- Drink plenty of water, and get regular exercise.