Acne in Adults
Acne is not just a problem with teenagers since it can continue into Adult Life. According to the recent studies, 7-17% of people having acne are over the age of 25 and 1% of men and 5% of women still have acne in their 40s.
Adult acne patients usually get acne on the chin and sides of the face and they are less severe than teen acne and more likely to be caused by stress, hormonal changes or medications. Adult acne is usually common in women.
Adult acne can also happen on the neck, back, chest, and shoulders. It is much more common in women than in men and can be more difficult to control because the skin in this area is often more sensitive and more easily irritated from the often drying medications that are used in acne.
What Causes Adult Acne?
Most common cause of Adult Acne is due to the changes in hormone levels that women experience at certain points during their lives like:
- Before Periods
- During Pregnancy
- Case of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Another cause will be the side effects from certain medications. These includes:
- Steroids - Used to treat asthma and other conditions
- Lithium - Used to treat depression
Stress can also cause acne in adults. Since adults are exposed to more stressors; they are likely to acquire stress related acne.
Common Acne Types in Adults
Acne rosacea - It appears as a red rash, usually on the cheeks, nose, forehead and chin. The redness is often accompanied by bumps, pimples, and skin blemishes. It generally affects people over the age of 30, and is commoner in women than men.
Acne conglobate - Accompanied by large lesions and a lot of blackheads. It occurs on the face, chest, back, and elsewhere, and can cause severe scarring. It is more common in males, usually between the ages of 18 to 30 years.
Pyoderma Faciale (Rosacea Fulminans) - This type of severe facial acne affects only women, usually between the ages of 20 to 40.Symptoms include large painful nodules, pustules, and sores, all of which may scar.
ACNE IN TEENS
Teenagers and young adults are the age groups that is commonly affected by acne. Around 80% of 11 - 30 years olds have acne in some point of their lives. For girls, acne is very common between ages 14 - 17. Boys commonly have acne between the ages of 16 - 19 years.
But why is acne very common in teenagers? Well, it is because the level of androgen hormones increase when a person hit puberty. These hormones cause an increase in the size of the sebaceous glands and the amount of oil they produce which can cause clogged pores that can result to acne.
Facts about Teen Acne
- Acne is now becoming more prevalent in children 7-12 years old.
- Acne affects 80% of people 11 to 30 years old.
- It is the most common complaint by teens.
- By mid-teens, more than 40% of adolescents have acne or acne scarring.
- Breakouts appear mainly on the cheeks and forehead but can appear on chest and back as well.
What is the effect of acne to teenagers?
- Acne can greatly affect the psychological and social aspects of a teenager. It affects teenagers mostly at the time that being accepted in the society is very important for them since physical appearance and attractiveness are the essentials for them to get accepted.
- Acne can cause the lack of self-esteem and self confidence. They are afraid to engage in a relationship because of the fear that they won’t be accepted. How they look greatly affects the socialization skills.
- Acne in the chest and back can hinders one’s potential to get discovered or involved in a certain sport because he/she is very conscious in changing in a room full of other players.
- The worst that can happen is that acne can lead to depression. Teenagers can feel down and hopeless that they will look that way forever. They will show little interest or pleasure on things.
We know acne isn't just a physical condition. It also affects the way we feel about ourselves. Having acne really sucks but you do not have to live with it your whole life. You do not need to hide. There are a lot of treatments that you can choose from.
You only got one skin, so better take good care of it the best possible way you can.
Banish KitFades Acne Scars Naturally. If it doesn't work for you, send it back for your money back!