It is important to determine the type of acne and the scars that you have, to understand and identify the best treatment for you. We have rounded up all information that you need for everything about acne, its types, scars, and its severity types.
- A Comedone is a basic acne lesion that had its hair follicle clogged with oil and dead skin cells. These can develop into whiteheads and blackheads. Anything that can cause this type of acne is called “comedogenic”. Mild Comedones are treatable with over-the-counter products.
- This type of Comedone are open at the surface of the skin. This type of acne is filled with oil and dead skin cells. Blackheads get its color from the reflection of light hitting the closed pore. These can often be treated with over-the-counter products.
- Comedones that remain closed at the surface of the skin. The oil and skin cells refrain the clogged hair follicle from opening. Often times, the over-the-counter products that work on blackheads also work on whiteheads.
- Comedones that become inflamed, the inflammation causes it to become red or pink bumps. They tend to be sensitive to the touch. Touching can make this type of acne more inflamed and can cause scarring.
- This is a type of inflamed acne that are similar to whiteheads. The walls around the pimple break down causing an irregular shape.
- Large inflamed bumps that are tender to the touch. They develop deep within the skin, and often leave scars because it stretches the collagen early in the development of new skin cells. Nodules indicate acne is in a more severe state. Dermatologists are better at treating this type of acne than over-the-counter products.
- Large puss filled lesions that can be painful. This type of acne indicates the acne is severe, and they should be treated by dermatologists.
- Acne caused by friction, heat, and pressure against the skin
- Acne Conglobata
- One of the most severe forms of acne.
- Has many nodules that are connected beneath the skin
- Ice pick
- Deep, narrow scars often from blackheads
- May look like large, open pores
- Round depressions in the skin with vertical sides. They are wider than ice pick scars.
- Causes the skin to appear wave-like
- These type of marks are technically not considered scars but I decided to include it because it often times is associated with acne.
- Brown or red marks caused by an excessive amount of melanin, which is why exposure to the sun can make these markings worse.
Severity of Acne
- Mild acne
- Fewer than 20 whiteheads or blackheads
- Fewer than 15 inflamed bumps
- Fewer than 30 total lesions
- Can be treated with over-the-counter products
- Moderate acne
- Have 20-100 whiteheads or blackheads
- Have 15-50 inflamed bumps
- Have 30-125 total lesions
- Dermatologists recommend professional treatment
- Severe acne
- Have multiple inflamed cysts and nodules
- Dermatologist help recommended
These are all that you need to identify your acne problem and seek the best treatment suited for your skin and your acne problem.
Banish Starter Kit