If your skin breaks out faster than the latest viral youtube video, chances are you have been battling with this situation for quite a while now. Acne can happen all over your body, but those breakouts on the face are the ones that are usually visible. While acne is common and normal to have, there may be times where you want to cover up those blemishes.
Most of us have the dilemma between letting your skin breath and heal or completely covering it up.. Fortunately, science can do wonders these days and there are lots of options for you to choose between foundations that work best for acne-prone skin. No more clogged pores, dry skin and irritating formulas as your last option. These products are guaranteed to serve its purpose and keep your skin healthy while safely healing your skin.
Best Foundations For Acne Prone Skin
1. Lorac Natural Performance FoundationWhat we love about it?
Gives you that picture-perfect fair coverage that holds throughout your day. It is loaded with 3 helpful plant extracts and vitamin A to help protect and nourish your skin. While it safely heals your acne, it is available in ten hues too! Did we forget to mention that it's also oil-free, paraben-free and fragrance-free?
2. Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte Plus Poreless Foundation Makeup
Why it's a must-have?
It is made up of 100% micro-minerals that leave a matte finish. It blurs out pores, lightweight and is available in three natural shades that last all day long. It is dermatologically tested and very safe for sensitive skin.This comes in a loose powder formula but is oil-free, talc-free, preservatives-free and fragrance-free. Really worth it!
3. E.L.F Acne Fighting Foundation
Why it's a steal?
It blends really well, easy to apply, goes on smoothly and has a matte finish which works really well for photographs. It offers light to medium coverage (does not highlight wrinkles) and works best for a sensitive and acne-prone skin. There's a variety of shades that is best suited for very fair to very dark skin tones. We must also mention that you get all these benefits for only $6.
4. BareMinerals Blemish Remedy Mineral Powder Foundation
Why we recommend it?
It has a good range of warm-toned shades. It is fragrance-free and minimizes the appearance of large pores and excess shine. While it is gentle yet effective, this mineral-powered foundation provides flawless coverage. IT has Aspen Bark and Tea Tree Oil that promotes clearer and healthier looking skin.
5. Neutrogena SkinClearing Oil-Free Makeup
What's great about it?
Its the first and only liquid foundation that has MicroClear technology that not just treat blemishes but also prevents emerging breakouts. MicroClear boosts the effectivity of salicylic acid by cutting through oil and clearing up pores for fast acne relief. It has a natural coverage while making your skin breathe. It also controls shine while maintaining a natural look.
6. Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder FoundationThe coolest thing about it?
It just provides a rich pigment but has a light feel. It is a cream to powder foundation that is known for its blendability. It offers sheer to medium coverage and a matte finish. We highly recommend it for normal to slightly oily skin because it can minimize shine and effectively evens out skin tone without being cakey. It even lasts through the day without fading, creasing and slipping off. There's a hint of lavender extract in it too!
7. Makeup For Ever Matte Velvet - This foundation is ideal for normal-to-oily skin types and provides full coverage. It is formulated with flexi-fit complex technology to deliver oil-absorbing powders that ensure shine control and up to 24 hours of wear that doesn't cake, flake, or fade. This foundation is perfect for normal, dry, combination and oily skin types.
As the name suggests Matte Velvet Skin leaves a matte finish on the skin, making it a perfect fit for oily and combination skin types. This matte finish is unlike others on the market though, it’s formulated with synthetic mica, which absorbs excess oil but also has texturizing and light-reflecting properties that ensure your skin looks natural and velvety, never flat or mask-like.
8. MAC Studio Fix Fluid - M.A.C Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 provides medium buildable coverage and a natural matte finish. The long-lasting, oil-free formula includes SPF 15 for everyday sun protection. Best applied with a brush.
This product does not oxidize on your skin and it’s easy to apply.
9. Fenty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation – A powerhouse brand that has lived up to its hype, this Fenty formula is proof that a buildable medium to full coverage foundation doesn’t have to be heavy and thick.
It features special climate-adaptive technology that’s resistant to sweat and humidity and won’t clog pores. It’s an oil-free, lightweight formula, but lightweight doesn’t mean light coverage—it builds from medium to high.
10. Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup – This foundation is oil free, fragrance free and non-acnegenic. It contains salicylic acid to help keep pores of excess oil.
Salicylic acid treats any existing breakouts and keeps them from coming back, sea algae extract purifies and caffeine works to reduce irritation. It effectively blends away blemishes and counteracts redness for dry, combination and oily skin.
What To Look For In A Foundation For Acne?
The best foundation for acne-prone skin has two crucial qualities: It covers up your pimples without looking cakey and it doesn’t clog pores to create a never-ending cycle of breakouts.
As foundation is a product that sits on the skin all day, Dr. Marchbein recommends acne prone skin types to seek oil-free and noncomedogenic formulas. You should also be conscious of how you're applying foundation, as your tools (brushes, beauty blenders, etc.) need to be cleaned on the regular to prevent acne.
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST FOUNDATION FOR ACNE-PRONE SKIN
Searching for the best foundation makeup to suit your skin color, skin type, coverage needs, and other personal preferences can feel like an endless quest.
Another important part of choosing foundation is to know which one can complement your skin undertones best.
Your undertones are the colors under your skin that affect your complexion.
There are generally three types: Warm, Cool, and Neutral
“The temptation high to cover up oily skin with make-up, especially if there are blemishes as well. However, getting make-up to stay in place can be quite tricky and choosing the wrong regime or products can make your skin worse too.” – Dr. Ross Perry, cosmetic doctor and managing director of Cosmedics Skin Clinics
There isn't only one type of foundation since acne prone skin can be dry, combination, or oily so you also need to consider foundation types.
Typically, matte finishes are better for oily skin while dewier finishes work better for dry skin.
It's recommended to look for foundations that also contains some skincare ingredients such as antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and skin-brightening ingredients, and sun protection. These ingredients can help calm acne prone skin and soothe redness.
Tips To Choose the Best foundation for Acne-Prone Skin
1. Avoid pore clogging foundations - As a general rule of thumb, look for noncomedogenic products (which basically means “non-pore clogging”), and avoid foundations that contain SD denatured alcohol, sometimes called isopropyl alcohol.” – Yoram Harth, dermatologist
2. Check for acne-fighting ingredients – Some foundations have a low concentration of salicylic acid in them.
3. Try a powder – It’s never easy breaking up with a foundation that checks all the boxes, but if it worsens your skin, it's better in order for your skin to heal.
Powder foundations are best recommended by dermatologists over liquid ones for acne-prone skin. It's less likely to clog pores since the pigment molecules in the powder formulas are too large to enter pores.
4. Make Your Foundation Work Overtime - If you have acne-prone skin, you should use a foundation that has zit-fighting salicylic acid. If you have dry and flaky skin, opt for serum-infused products that bring you enough moisture.
5. Choose A Foundation That Suits Your Skin Type - You do not just go by what providers say on the bottle. Instead, you should opt for a foundation that is best-suited for your skin.
6. Decide The Type Of Coverage You Want - If you want to have a more natural look, use a light coverage foundation or a BB or CC cream. In case you want to have a more attractive look or want to even out your complexion, go with medium coverage foundation. And, if you want to cover all weaknesses on your skin, such as acne, full coverage foundation would be the best option for you and your skin above all.
No matter how challenging your situation currently is, there’s an option for your skin that won’t give you that greasy, caked on feeling. With the best foundations for acne prone skin, nothing will stop you from wearing makeup whenever you choose!